Sunday 2 September 2012

Coping Strategies: Encouraging pupils to struggle well *UPDATED

Here are some posters I've made for my classroom this year:




The idea is for pupils to think about what strategies they can use to try to tackle a difficult problem and a lot of them are lifted off this Mathematical Habits of Mind post. In class, if a student is struggling, I will point to these posters and ask what strategies they've tried or which strategy they think might help. Hopefully this will encourage students to try things out before giving up and asking for the solution from me.

Have you got any ideas for other coping strategies I could use? Any ideas how I could better encourage the struggle?

*UPDATE: Now includes two new posters (and a slightly funkier text)!!

2 comments:

  1. Solve a simpler problem. That's the one mathematicians use most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. This has now been added to the others.

      Delete

Quick wins from Direct Instruction: Dimensions of Difficulty

This post was inspired by an episode of the Craig Barton podcast with Kris Boulton. Kris was acting as a salesman for Engelmann's Direct...